Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 14, and I think I might be pregnant.

I am 14, and I think I might be pregnant.

Patient: I am 14, and on the shot. I had unprotected sex 5 weeks ago(November 9th) a couple days after I got the shot. I heard it takes a week if you don’t get the shot when your period starts. I took a pregnancy test last week it came back negative. But I’m still having symptoms and they are slowly increasing every week. Could I be pregnant?

Symptoms: Fatigue, Bloating, Darker areolas, Sore back, Morning sickness, Spotting(Implantation bleeding)

Doctor: Hello,If you are 14 , then considering that your menarche was at 12 or 13 years of age , the initial cycles are anovu latory and no ova are produced so they are protected of pregnancy. Secondly you have been on depot injection which protect you further, but as you mentioned that you had sex couple of days after that , then chances would have been considered if your menstrual cycle would have matured and you would have been ovulating. I neither case pregnancy is ruled out which is also confirmed by your pregnancy test result as well.The symptoms you are experiencing are probably due to break-though bleeding which you may experience as a side effect following depot usage.I hope i have answered your query , wishing you health, regards