Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 16 weeks pregnant, my dr has said I have pregnancy induced hypertension.

I am 16 weeks pregnant, my dr has said I have pregnancy induced hypertension.

Patient: I am 16 weeks pregnant, my dr has said I have pregnancy induced hypertension as my blood pressure was 178/114 when I seen her Monday. she put me in the hospital and found .2 protein in my urine. What do you think is causing the protein in my urine? I didn’t have any infections. Is that a lot of protein in the urine? Do you think its early sings of preecamplisa? I have been having headaches and very lower back hurting too. my blood pressure goes up and down. some times its 138/85 or better or worse.

Symptoms: Lower back hurting, blood pressure going up and down, headaches. .2 protein in urine.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,As per definition two reading of blood pressure 6hrs apart if m ore than 140/90 mm Hg then it’s known as gestational hypertension and if there are proteins in urine even 1+, then this is pre-eclampsia and hence you become a high-risk pregnancy where your blood pressure has to be controlled with labetalol tabs and should be managed sooner and maintained less than 140/90 mm Hg.The signs of headaches, nausea, epigastric pain and blurring of vision are signs of impending eclampsia and hence you have to be really careful hence. You should be hospitalised and started on antihypertensives sooner else there are chances of abruption and even sometimes still births are fairly common.So please take it seriously and report to the hospital under your obstetrician’s care.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you safe pregnancy,Regards

Patient: My protein was only .2 Monday, my blood pressure rises and lowers it doesn’t stay high. Do you think .2 protein is the start of preeclampsia? How much is .2? is that lower than 1+

Doctor: The quantification is based on 24 hrs urine protein levels which has a higher range of 300ng/dl, beyond that is positive urine protein. 1+ IS MEASURED WITH UROSTIX MEASUREMENT. It is necessary that you should attach your urine protein report in the follow up as different ranges are maintained by different labs.

Patient: Lab Results
Date
Name
Result
Description
Status
Urinalysis, Dipstick Specimen Type:: Manual
Leukocytes: Negative
Nitrite: negative
Urobilinogen: .2
Protein: Trace
Ph: 7.0
Blood: Negative
Specific Gravity: 1.010
Ketone: Negative
Bilirubin: Negative
Glucose: Negative
Appearance: Slightly Cloudy
Color: Yellow
this is the test results. Do you know if .2 protein is high when its only just one sample not 24 hour. how is the test result?

Patient: Lab Results Date Name Result Description Status Urinalysis, Dipstick Specimen Type:: Manual Leukocytes: Negative Nitrite: negative Urobilinogen: .2 Protein: Trace Ph: 7.0 Blood: Negative Specific Gravity: 1.010 Ketone: Negative Bilirubin: Negative Glucose: Negative Appearance: Slightly Cloudy Color: Yellow this is the test results. Do you know if .2 protein is high when its only just one sample not 24 hour. how is the test result?

Doctor: You have mis read your report completely . Your urobilinogen is 0.2 levels and your proteins are trace.
This reading makes you a case of gestational hypertension and not pre -eclampsia..
So the alarm which i raised for you is not valid anymore. You can be managed with antihypertensives and daily bp recording. Avoid stressors during pregnancy, watch for pedal edema.., generalised body swelling, headaches, chest pains , blurring of vision and monitor daily blood pressure till 37 weeks of pregnancy as PIH can worsen in late third trimester when you have to be really careful. As per protocol PIH cases are delivered or induced by 38 weeks of gestation as precaution.

Patient: Lab Results
Date
Name
Result
Description
Status
These are my labs for the 24 hour urine. Is 224 mg high for 16 weeks pregnant.
01/18/2016 Protein, Total, 24-Hour Urine High Ur Protein 24HR: 224 mg/24 HR Final
Urine Volume: 1600 mL Final

Patient: can having 224 mg at 16 weeks be a sign of early preecamplsia. is 224 mg in 24 hour test on the high side?

Doctor: Levels less than 300mg are considered normal. So its not pre-eclampsia.