Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 17 days late for my period I have

I am 17 days late for my period I have

Patient: I am 17 days late for my period. I have had some breast enlargement bloating, weight gain, mood swings, and very tired. I have currently taken about 10 hpt and 1 blood test drawn a couple days late that have all came back negative. What are the chances that I still might be pregnant

Symptoms: Headaches enlarged breast mood swings very tired.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As all your urine and blood tests for pregnancy gave negativ e results, the possibility of pregnancy is less.Breast engorgement, mood swings etc symptoms can be seen in premenstrual phase also, so just by symptoms we can not come to one conclusion regarding pregnancy.Irregularities in menstrual cycles can occur due to many causes like lifestyle modifications, stress and strain, weight changes, polycystic ovary disease etc leading to gonadal hormonal imbalance, other possible causes are thyroid hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes, general conditions like anemia, diabetes etc.As you are having premenstrual features, better to wait for one week.If you do not get periods even after one week, please consult your doctor, get evaluated to find out the possible cause of your delayed periods and take treatment accordingly.Take care.