Ask The Doctor > Pending > I am 17 years and 11 months old (almost 18),

I am 17 years and 11 months old (almost 18),

Patient: I am 17 years and 11 months old (almost 18), and I’ve had the same mild fasciculations (and not constant at all, maybe few times a day) in some places around my body for years when I was 13-14 probably. No tongue fasciculations. Lately for the past few weeks I’m having also small pain on the posterior muscles of the shoulders. I mean, I feel some discomfort if I press these muscles with my fingers or move my neck in a certain way. But I think it might be due to some incorrect pillow posture when I sleep.Today I noticed (I think I had noticed it a few months ago, but didn’t really bother about it) that some of my muscle control (muscles that I can move or not) does not seem to be asymmetrical. I have some kind of muscle weakness because I can move my right inner elbow/forearm muscle (brachioradialis?) but very little on my left side. (I’m right handed). I can move my right calf muscle but not as much of my left side; in order to move the left calf muscle I have to move also my foot.I’m a bit concerned or worried that it might be ALS due to the fasciculations (which hasn’t progressed, always has been mild) and this muscle ‘loss’? But apart from these I don’t have marked weaknesses at all, nothing of this sort. I have no trouble in other activites like breathing, swallowing, walking, running, cycling, etc. I have a mild stutter but it has nothing to do with slurred speech caused by ALS because I’ve been stuttering since I was 6-7 years old and I think it’s also kind of hereditary because I have 2 relatives who used to stutter when they were younger. Any help would be really appreciated.

Doctor: