I am 18 weeks pregnant and would like to know

Patient

Q: I am 18 weeks pregnant and would like to know if eating a home cooked blue cheese burger (cheese inside the patty) puts baby in danger for listeriosis?

Symptoms:  18 weeks pregnant
Doctor

A:   Hi,

Listeriosis can occur due to improperly heated patty and cheese from unpasteurized milk.
If you take properly heated patty and cheese from pasturized milk, the possibility of infection is low.
If you are not sure about cooking conditions, better to avoid or if you know that it is properly cooked, you can have it.
But if you develop any symptoms like fever, gastric disturbances etc, please consult your doctor immediately.

Take care.