Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 19 weeks pregnant and taking a low dose (25 mg) of Zoloft for depression.

I am 19 weeks pregnant and taking a low dose (25 mg) of Zoloft for depression.

Patient: I am 19 weeks pregnant and taking a low dose (25mg) of Zoloft for depression. Originally, both my obstetrician and psychiatrist agreed that this was the best course for me and assured me the risks were minimal to my child; in fact, I switched from Cymbalta to Zoloft as it was the safest recommended option for pregnant women to use. This month, a study came out in Canada finding a link between the autism in children whose mothers took SSRI’s during the last two trimesters. Now I am really anxious about whether I’m doing what is best. What do you think?

Symptoms: None, pregnant, taking 25mg of Zoloft daily

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query at ATD.I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.No drug is safe as such during pregnancy but it should be given when needed in benefits of mother and children.In your case as you are taking a very low dose of zoloft the side effects are almost nil, but they are still there.If you symptom free from last 6 months and if managed with yoga and lifestyle changes you can stop taking antidepressants.But if antidepressants is required then you have to continue the drug to maintain health of baby and you,otherwise depression may affect you and your baby health.Hope found useful.Feel free to discuss further,Good luck.Regards