I am 21, female, 5'8 and am having trouble losing weight.

Q: I am 21, female, 5'8" and am having trouble losing weight. I eat a very strict, very routine 1,200 calories a day. I have no appetite and don't get cravings. I am tired all the time, yet cannot get myself down from 175. This has never been an issue for me before, I have no idea what is going on. I gained about 10 pounds randomly a year ago with no dietary change, and couldn't get rid of it. I also got cellulite, despite walking and exercising every day.

A:   Hi,

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thank you for your query.

In some people, the calorie need is about 1200 to 1400 calories per day. Assuming that you have a low-calorie requirement per day, you may not be losing any weight. I recommend that you restrict your diet to 1000 calories per day. Also, start working out till you are pumped and sweating for at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week.

If you are still not able to lose weight, please consult a Doctor.