Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 21 weeks pregnant and just noticed some spotting

I am 21 weeks pregnant and just noticed some spotting

Patient: I am 21 weeks pregnant and just noticed some spotting when I used the bathroom. It was red, but small, one drop on my underwear and then pink when I wiped. I had such strained for a BM, so wondering if it was related. But also I felt the baby moving around more as I was trying to fall asleep so wondering if the baby felt something wrong.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Straining during bowel movement may lead to spotting per va gina sometimes.Constipation is a common problem in pregnancy due to the effect of progesterone hormone.By taking plenty of oral fluids, green leafy vegetables and if needed laxatives, this problem can be decreased to some extent.If spotting and/or increased fetal movements persist, better to consult your doctor and get evaluated.By clinical examination and ultrasound wellbeing of the baby can be confirmed and possible cause of spotting can be identified and management can be planned accordingly.Take care.