I am 22 years old and i have been diagnosed


Q: I am 22 years old and i have been diagnosed with fybrocystic breast disease. My breasts sag like im over 50, they constantly hurt. The pain is a sharp burning almost stabbing like pain. Pain relievers dont help and i am constantly worried about breast cancer since all of my tests are coming back inconclusive because of this...What can i do?

Symptoms:  Sharp burning pain

A:   Hello,
Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.

Fibrocystic breast changes can occur at any age, but is most common in younger women of childbearing age. Common symptoms of fibrocystic breast changes are:
Breast swelling or thickening
Lumps within the breast, which may vary in size and texture
Breast pain or tenderness
Aching or sharp pain, Burning, Itching.

If a lump becomes firm or has other questionable features, then a mammogram, ultrasound, or biopsy should be undertaken to rule out cancer. In most cases, treatment is not needed for fibrocystic breast changes. But doing a monthly breast exam can help you know what is normal for you and what is new. Removing fluid through fine-needle aspiration may help relieve symptoms of pain or pressure. But know that fluid may return at a later time.

These are other steps that may help with mild discomfort:
1. Supportive bras
2. Over-the-counter pain relievers, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen
3. Reduced intake of caffeine and stimulants found in coffee, tea, chocolate, and soft drinks
4. Oral contraceptives may be a good idea for women with severe symptoms. Although certain vitamins and salt reduction are also sometimes suggested, studies have not confirmed their benefits.

I hope I have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,

Related Q&A

Q: Hi, a few days ago i woke up to 2 sets of 2 red inflamed dots under my stomach / in my groin area. To me they looked ...

Q: I am 70 years old and have been suffereing from diarhea for the last few months. Today have got a high reading for ce...

Q: I've spent the the past year or so worrying off and on about lymphoma. Last year, I moved to the Netherlands, by myse...

Q: My 6 year old has a partially white stool. She finished augmentin a week ago for a swollen jaw, which we assumed may ...

Q: I am diagnosed with pvc. I did a echo, blood test and holter and all normal. I did stress test at the start of year a...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon