Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 22 years old and i have been diagnosed

I am 22 years old and i have been diagnosed

Patient: I am 22 years old and i have been diagnosed with fybrocystic breast disease. My breasts sag like im over 50, they constantly hurt. The pain is a sharp burning almost stabbing like pain. Pain relievers dont help and i am constantly worried about breast cancer since all of my tests are coming back inconclusive because of this…What can i do?

Symptoms: Sharp burning pain

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.Fibrocystic breast changes can occur at any age, but is most com mon in younger women of childbearing age. Common symptoms of fibrocystic breast changes are:Breast swelling or thickeningLumps within the breast, which may vary in size and textureBreast pain or tendernessAching or sharp pain, Burning, Itching.If a lump becomes firm or has other questionable features, then a mammogram, ultrasound, or biopsy should be undertaken to rule out cancer. In most cases, treatment is not needed for fibrocystic breast changes. But doing a monthly breast exam can help you know what is normal for you and what is new. Removing fluid through fine-needle aspiration may help relieve symptoms of pain or pressure. But know that fluid may return at a later time.These are other steps that may help with mild discomfort:1. Supportive bras2. Over-the-counter pain relievers, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen3. Reduced intake of caffeine and stimulants found in coffee, tea, chocolate, and soft drinks4. Oral contraceptives may be a good idea for women with severe symptoms. Although certain vitamins and salt reduction are also sometimes suggested, studies have not confirmed their benefits.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards