Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 24 in my second trimester of pregnancy and

I am 24 in my second trimester of pregnancy and

Patient: I am 24 in my second trimester of pregnancy and terrified I have oral cancer.I have a 4mm red patch on my gum in that patch is a white spot. My dentist says it’s just pigmentation change and nothing to worry about- but how can he know without a biopsy?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for writing in to us.I have read through your query in detail.Please find my observations below.A 4 mm lesion in the month is unlikely to represent a cancer. Cancer lesions are larger and will be identified on imaging.Cancers are irregular and infiltrating and is unlikely in you. Usually biopsy is the method of confirmation when in doubt. However a 4 mm lesion is really small and your dentist is experienced to tell any cancers from benign lesion.Please watch the area for 15 days and it should likely heal.Hope your query is answered.Please do write back if you have any doubts.Regards,

Patient: The lesion has been there for several months. Can you advise me on whether this looks in anyway suspicious?

Doctor: Hi,
Thanks for writing back with an update.
There is no suspicious abnormal area in the picture. If you are having it for months without any change t havee it is a harmless condition. Please include adequate amounts of vitamins in your foods.
Regards,

Patient: Thank you. So the white spot (on the right hand side of the photo) isn’t an ulcer or anything else i need to be concerned with?

Doctor: Hi,
Thanks for writing back with an update.
You do not have any concerns about this white spot.
hope your query is answered.
Plase do write back if you have any doubts.
Regards,

Patient: Can I just ask you please to help with my worries what about the spot and red area tells you it’s ok from the picture?

Doctor: Hi,
Thamnks for writing back with an update.
The picture shows that the gums are normal.
Regards,