I am 24 weeks pregnant I moved a very heavy bag yesterday

Q: I am 24 weeks pregnant. I moved a very heavy bag yesterday, may have weighed close to 40 pds. I had a few spots of blood last night and a little pain today. I called the doc this am and they said just to call if I had any more bleeding. Is it possible for lifting a heavy object to cause placental rupture tho?

A:   Hello! Thank you for asking this question on ATD. We are glad that you have already informed your doctor about the spotting.

Lifting heavy objects may cause sudden pull in the pelvic musculature, but it is unlikely to cause spotting per se, unless trauma or some other cause is there. Placental rupture is unlikely without a direct trauma to the abdomen. When you're pregnant, your ligaments loosen and your joints become less stable, so it's easier to injure yourself. As your belly grows, your center of gravity shifts forward too. This puts more pressure on your lower back and makes it more vulnerable to strain – especially when you're lifting something heavy.
The shift in your center of gravity can put you off balance, making falls more likely. A serious fall is not only dangerous for you, but it could be risky for the baby, possibly leading to preterm labor or premature separation of the placenta. Although not considered normal, spotting is commonly experienced in pregnancy by many women, and most go through an uneventful course of pregnancy and childbirth. A single self limiting episode of spotting is unlikely to cause future problems. However, spotting associated with cramps may herald a miscarriage and must be brought into urgent medical attention. In most cases an ultrasound examination for fetal wellbeing is carried out, and in advanced gestation, placental integrity is ensured.

If your doctor is not concerned at this time, perhaps it's because you have already had a reassuring ultrasound and/or heard the fetal heartbeat with a Doppler device. If you are still worried, it's important to express your thoughts and concerns to your doctor. You may also consider seeking a second opinion, for added safety. Being a mother is one of the most precious and magical moments of your life.

We hope you will develop a comfortable rapport with your doctor, so that you can have a healthy and happy pregnancy and childbirth. Hope this helps.