I am 25 years old I am a bit overweight

Q: I am 25 years old. I am a bit overweight right now around 85 kg. The problem i face is that whenever I try to lose weighy by running or dieting all my face shoulder and even area around neck becomes very thin with even bones visible sometime but my thighs and waist remain unaffected and fatty. Because of which I am unable to wear proper sized clothes and look even worse. Whats the problem and whats the solution?

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

To understand why you are losing weight around the neck and not around the whole body, you need to understand how weight is gained or lost.

When losing weight, most weight is lost quickly around the arms and the legs and then the neck. When gaining weight, you gain weight quickly around the abdomen. Thus, you can say that abdomen fat is the hardest to lose.

But, that said, if you are extremely thin at the neck and the belly is very big, please see a Doctor as you may have a hormonal imbalance. Hope this helps you. All the best.