Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 28 years old, Caucasian, 5″7 and 121lbs I

I am 28 years old, Caucasian, 5″7 and 121lbs I

Patient: I am 28 years old, Caucasian, 5″7 and 121lbs. I have always been tall and slender with no major medical concerns except for recurrent UTIs. I do suffer from anxiety and stress. Over the past year, I have developed a nickle size patch of male patterned hair growth on the right side of my chin. There is a patch beginning to develop on the left side of my chin too. There are maybe 30-40 thick and scruffy hairs on the right side. They are embarrassing, and I have to shave or pluck every 24 hours. I visited my OBGYN, and tests checking hormone levels were done. Those tests returned normal. I was dismissed. Is there anything else that I should do to figure the cause of this before I just ignore it? I have regular periods and I have never had any problems with my weight.

Symptoms: Symptoms of anxiety and stress (ongoing for most of my life triggered by my environment)
Hair growth seems to be becoming too thick and scruffy for someone my age
Hair is beginning to grow in this manner on the left side of my chin too
No other areas of odd hair growth on my body

I am 28 years old, Caucasia...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The hair patch with hard hairs over the chin do indicate few poss ibilities like PCOD or polycystic ovarian syndrome ( but you mention that serum testosterone levels have been normal along with DHEAS and 17OHP, with regular cycles) or possibility that you may have take protein supplements sometime which were steroid based and that caused the hair growth and then the repeated shaving over the area made it harder.Even though the hormone levels are fine, the best way to get rid of them now would be to get a laser epilation done with a qualified cosmetologist.I hope i have answered your query,Wishing you good health,Regards