September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 29 and suffer from chronic hypertension For over

I am 29 and suffer from chronic hypertension For over

Patient: I am 29 and suffer from chronic hypertension. For over a week I have been so very extermely tired. Now it’s to the point Im only up 2 hrs at a time and that’s really trying.. My husband just suggested I check my bp. And my reading is 268/146.. I’m laying on my left and will check it again shortly. Also for the last few days ago my side has been hurting and resting does not help.. Is my bp the cause of my exhaustion?

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.You are suffering from hypertensive crisis. Seek immediate medical attention.A hypertensive crisis is a severe increase in blood pressure that can lead to a stroke. Extremely high blood pressure — a top number (systolic pressure) of 180 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher or a bottom number (diastolic pressure) of 120 mm Hg or higher — damages blood vessels. They become inflamed and may leak fluid or blood. As a result, the heart may not be able to pump blood effectively.Causes of a hypertensive emergency include:Forgetting to take your blood pressure medicationStrokeHeart attackHeart failureKidney failureRupture of your body’s main artery (aorta)Interaction between medicationsConvulsions during pregnancy (eclampsia)A hypertensive crisis is divided into two categories: urgent and emergency. In an urgent hypertensive crisis, your blood pressure is extremely high, but your doctor doesn’t suspect you have any damage to your organs. In an emergency hypertensive crisis, your blood pressure is extremely high and has caused damage to your organs. An emergency hypertensive crisis can be associated with life-threatening complications.Signs and symptoms of a hypertensive crisis that may be life–threatening may include:Severe chest painSevere headache, accompanied by confusion and blurred visionNausea and vomitingSevere anxietyShortness of breathSeizuresUnresponsivenessTreatment for hypertensive crisis may include hospitalization for treatment with oral or intravenous medications.Hope this helps. Take care.