I am 37 weeks pregnant and ate a small

Patient

Q: I am 37 weeks pregnant and ate a small amount of ham that had been cooked with the plastic button on the bottom in a pan sealed with foil. It was about 3-4 oz. Is my baby at risk?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Usually, foods like ham are not advisable in pregnancy as that may lead to an infection called listeriosis.
As you took a small amount, the possibility of infection is less, but better to be careful.
If you get symptoms like fever, chills, headache etc, consult your doctor and get evaluated.
Listeriosis may also affect the baby sometimes.
So, please take regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to monitor the well-being of the baby.

Take care.