Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 46 and about a year ago I noticed

I am 46 and about a year ago I noticed

Patient: I am 46 and about a year ago I noticed some periods showing up over a week early and some 4 days late. For the past 3 months they have been regular I also have hot flashes, no sweating though and irritability that lasts all month long for the past 6 months. Am I in perimenopause? Are these irregular periods. They were never like that in 32 years.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.In perimenopausal phase, some amount of menstrual irregular ities, hot flashes, irritability, mood changes etc can be seen due to hormonal imbalance.Sometimes menstrual irregularities may increase and gradually you may attain menopause.Better to go for ultrasound once to rule out other factors of menstrual irregularities.It will take some time to get relief from other symptoms.Taking multivitamins, calcium, regularizing daily activities, exercise, healthy diet, good sleep, avoiding alcohol and smoking etc, can help in relieving these symptoms to some extent.Take care.