Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 5 months pregnant I just had a

I am 5 months pregnant I just had a

Patient: I am 5 months pregnant. I just had a salmon dinner, of which I fed my two cats a bite and they licked my fingers. Without washing, I may have licked my fingers or touched my food again, but washed them as soon as I remembered. Should I be concerned about toxoplasmosis and infecting my baby?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There is a small chance that you can contract the infection from the cat, however, it i s unlikely to affect your baby as it has completed 5 months of pregnancy. However, it is recommended that you consult a gynecologist for a second opinion and get a toxoplasma IGg and IGM antibody test done to rule out the chances. If IGM is very high you may need medications to prevent infection to the baby and have a safe pregnancy.Hope this helped.Regards