I am 51 now and I seem to not have


Q: I am 51 now and I seem to not have enough lubrication during sex. What is good for me to use? Should I get a prescription or something I can take over the counter?


A:   Hello,
Thanks for the query to ATD,

It is generally seen in women nearing menopause or who have menopause, that their oestrogen content in the body generally decreases and hence lubrication and cervical secretions in the vagina stand decreased causing difficulty in intercourse and often pain. This can also cause atrophic vaginitis or vaginal atrophy due to oestrogen depletion. The treatment is simple with replenishment of oestrogen. This can be achieved with local application of ESTRADIOL cream once a day and thrice weekly for 3 weeks. This shall help vaginal re-epithelialization and increased local oestrogen content providing increase in cervical secretions which can alleviate your pain and penetration issues. This can be obtained through a physician's prescription.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,

Wishing you good health,

Related Q&A

Q: I had to give this Ref ID : 423190. This is another follow up. So I know that my dad has an even bigger mole on hi...

Q: Hi, I just had a lymph node or so they think cut from my lower leg. It has been there for about five years. I have ha...

Q: Can I take coricidin HBO chest congestion & cough with flonase

Q: Stubbed my toe last night and my foot and ankle have been tingling and sore since. The toe is swollen and a little nu...

Q: I had blood tests done, there was clorox cleaner/bleach on my arm from earlier, will this affect anything on the test...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon