Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 51 now and I seem to not have

I am 51 now and I seem to not have

Patient: I am 51 now and I seem to not have enough lubrication during sex. What is good for me to use? Should I get a prescription or something I can take over the counter?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD,It is generally seen in women nearing menopause or who have menopause, that th eir oestrogen content in the body generally decreases and hence lubrication and cervical secretions in the vagina stand decreased causing difficulty in intercourse and often pain. This can also cause atrophic vaginitis or vaginal atrophy due to oestrogen depletion. The treatment is simple with replenishment of oestrogen. This can be achieved with local application of ESTRADIOL cream once a day and thrice weekly for 3 weeks. This shall help vaginal re-epithelialization and increased local oestrogen content providing increase in cervical secretions which can alleviate your pain and penetration issues. This can be obtained through a physician’s prescription.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards