I am 55 and not had a period for 5

Patient: I am 55 and not had a period for 5 years am I now infertile? I am healthy in all ways.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.If you have not had your menses for last 5 years and you are 55 years old then you have already entered into your menopause stage and its been 5 years now. Menopause is defined as absence of menses completely for at least one complete year. It is good that you are absolutely healthy and not facing any menopausal symptoms at present, probably maintaining a good lifestyle.It is to be understood that once menopause is achieved, the ovarian function is completely lost and there is no formation of ovum anymore and thus conception and pregnancy is not possible. This can be confirmed by getting a FSH & LH hormone levels which if found more than 40IU shall confirm menopause.Please get your hormone levels done and visit a physician for an evaluation.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

View all posts