Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 6 weeks and four days pregnant About three

I am 6 weeks and four days pregnant About three

Patient: I am 6 weeks and four days pregnant. About three day ago I want to the hospital because I was bleeding that said it was a thartinng miscarriage but the baby heart is still beating. There days later now I’m having a dark black blood or I’m not sure what it is but its not brown its black coming out of me. I’m not having pain or anything I just want to know whats going on??

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.The possible causes of brown spotting in your case are incr eased blood supply to local genital structures, growing gestational sac damaging the surrounding vessels, bleeding on expected date of periods as small gestational sac cannot completely obliterate uterine cavity, impending miscarriage etc.Usually minimal spotting with these type of causes will subside soon.If spotting persists and pain abdomen occurs better to consult your doctor once and get examined. By examination and ultrasound the possible cause of the problem can be identified and treated.HCG injections or progesterone supplements help to some extent in preventing miscarriage and in continuation of pregnancy.Take care.