Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 6 weeks pregnant and began bleeding like my period yesterday.

I am 6 weeks pregnant and began bleeding like my period yesterday.

Patient: I am 6 weeks pregnant and began bleeding like my period yesterday. Cramps were bad but not so much today. Is there a chance I haven’t miscarried?

Symptoms: Bleeding, small clots, cramping

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It is important to always follow up a bleeding in early pregnancy. There are likely possi bilities of a threatened miscarriage due to hormonal support which if noted can be prevented from going toward a complete miscarriage. The other could be a complete miscarriage where nothing can be done. It is advised that you consult your doctor immediately. The doctor may wish to do an ultrasound scan to check the status of pregnancy and accordingly put you on progesterone supplements for hormonal support to prevent the miscarriage.Also avoid exertion and limit your activities till you see a doctor.Hope this helped.Regards,