I am 6 weeks pregnant waiting for an ultra sound

Q: I am 6 weeks pregnant waiting for an ultra sound, I have had a small amount of bleeding and alot of white discharge. Should I be concerned?

A:   Hi,

The possible causes of spotting in your case are increased blood supply to local genital structures, growing gestational sac damaging the surrounding vessels, bleeding on expected date of periods as small gestational sac cannot completely obliterate uterine cavity etc.
Usually, minimal spotting with these type of causes will subside soon.
Increase vaginal discharge can be seen physiologically in pregnancy.
If the discharge is associated with smell and itching, there is a possibility of infection.
If spotting persists and pain abdomen occurs better to consult your doctor once and get examined to rule out the possibility of miscarriage.
By examination and ultrasound, the possible cause of the problem can be identified and treated.

Take care.