I am 65 years old and got my shingles vaccine

Patient

Q: I am 65 years old and got my shingles vaccine about a week ago. The 3rd day after my vaccine I got a large, swollen, painful/itchy area on my arm, both around and above the vaccine site. I have since (about two days ago) developed a smallish, extremely itchy blister on the inside of the same arm between my wrist and elbow. It really doesn't look like a ringworm, but I have been using over-the-counter fungus medication without any improvement. I have been keeping it covered with a bandaid. I have become concerned, since I read tonight that rarely a chicken pox blister can occur after the shingles vaccine. I had a horrible case of chicken pox when I was seven. Most important, I am employed part-time at our church pre-school, and we also have a daycare wing (with babies and toddlers) in the same building. Unfortunately, I was in the pre-school wing, as well as the office today. As the children's librarian, I was also in the main church library in preparation for library class with the pre-schoolers tomorrow. I will also be teaching chapel class (in our main church chapel) to ALL of our pre-schoolers tomorrow morning. Do I need to be concerned? FYI, about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks prior to getting the shingles vaccine, I had a fever blister, followed by about 4 canker sores in my mouth. I had been completely clear for several days when I got the vaccine. What, if any action, do I need to take? Thanks. Vicki

Symptoms:  Smallish, incredibly itchy red blister on my arm several days after shingles vaccine; does not look like any ringworm that I have ever seen. I have included more description in the Question section.
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history of Shingles vaccine about a week ago, local reaction, working in children's area in Chapel, Chicken pox at 7, fever blisters about one and half to two weeks before the fever blisters. but was clear before getting the Shingles dose, more worried about smallish, extremely itchy blister on the inside of the same forearm,
t really doesn't look like a ringworm, but I have been using over-the-counter fungus medication without any improvement. I have been keeping it covered with a bandaid. I have become concerned, since I read tonight that rarely a chicken pox blister can occur after the shingles vaccine.

It looks your immunity was reduced as you had fever blisters and yet you have taken the vaccine, hence the more side effects that you developed.
The blister on the forearm can be of chicken pox or H simplex and you need to consult your Doctor immediately to get a clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to know the exact cause and get an appropriate treatment. Your own health is also important.
As is the concerns about the children you work with.
You should not attend the children or in fact be in contact with anyone till your Doctors decide so.
Take care. Rush to your Doctor for further evaluation.

I hope this answer clears your doubts and guides you well.