Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am 9 weeks pregnant and have had some bleeding

I am 9 weeks pregnant and have had some bleeding

Patient: I am 9 weeks pregnant and have had some bleeding is that normal

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Sometimes spotting can be seen in early pregnancy.The possi ble causes of your spotting in are increased blood supply to local genital structures, growing gestational sac damaging the surrounding vessels, bleeding on expected date of periods as small gestational sac cannot completely obliterate uterine cavity etc.Usually, minimal spotting with these causes will subside soon.If spotting persists and associated pain abdomen occurs better to consult your doctor once and get examined to rule out the possibility of miscarriage.By physical examination and an ultrasound the possible cause of the spotting can be identified and treated.Hope this helps.Take care.