I am a 15 year old teenager I developed a weird lump

Patient

Q: I am a 15 year old teenager. I developed a weird lump on the bottom of my left rib cage. The side of the upper abs. I was recently playing ultimate Frisbee and we were practicing diving and I took a lot of force near the chest area. I'm wondering if the lump will go away or if I should be concerned. It doesn't hurt and it's not a bruise. Thanks.

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

The lump seems to be the result of an injury induced swelling from the ultimate frisbee game you were playing. The lump will definitely resolve, however, you do need an anti-inflammatory to reduce the swelling. I will advise you get it examined by your physician to confirm the diagnosis and start Tab. Ibuprofen (Advil) 400 mg twice daily for 3 days.

This will reduce the swelling as well as the pain.

Hope this was helpful,