I am a 16 year old girl on birth control

Patient : I am a 16 year old girl, and I am curious because I am taking birth control and have been for about a year now, but recently (about 2 weeks ago) when I started a new pack I noticed dark brown discharge I think it might've been old blood. I have had this for like 2 weeks now while on the active pill & the pill is scheduled for me to get my period this Sunday but on about Tuesday it started to get heavier and now it's normal blood like my normal period. I'm just confused because this has never happened to me. So I've basically been bleeding for almost 3 weeks, but in the beginning it was light. But like I said I'm not scheduled to get my period according to the pill until Sunday. Btw I am sexually active
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. While using the contraceptive pills some amount of irregula rities in menstrual cycles can be seen. Contraceptive pills can lead to intermenstrual spotting as a side effect. Missing the pills or altering the time of intake of pills can also lead to it. If you missed any pill, better to go for urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility. If the possibility of pregnancy is not there, you can take the support of antifibrinolytic drugs or an additional dose of hormones to control the bleeding with your Doctor's advice. Take care.