Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a 16 year old girl that plays lacrosse

I am a 16 year old girl that plays lacrosse

Patient: I am a 16 year old girl that plays lacrosse. For about a year now I have noticed that I feel a huge clump of mucus in my throat. And it causes me to have an attack. We used to think it was asthma… So I was taking an inhaler for a while. But I still had attacks when I was on it. After a long process.. The doctor told me I had Vocal Chord Dysfunction and Acid Reflux. I was curious about this though! If I truly have both of those… Wouldn’t I feel problems on a day to day basis? Not just during exercise? Thanks for your time!

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.I have read your query in detail and I suppose that you are suffering from Allergic cough with post nasal drip and Acid reflux.Get a Chest Xray done, if there are no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Allergic cough.Initially, you would be treated with a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast.But your doctor will examine your chest for any wheezes/spasm.In such scenario, your doctor would prescribe you inhalers.For acid reflux, you should take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy