Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a 19 year old female and I am

I am a 19 year old female and I am

Patient: I am a 19 year old female and I am unsure if I’m pregnant or am bleeding for a different reason. The last unprotected sex was on March 16 and I had my period March 30th. It is now april 13th and the last two days I have been spotting some dark brown blood after sex and when I wipe after the bathroom. Why am I having this

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As you got periods after last unprotected intercourse, the possibility of pregnancy is less.According to your description, the possible causes of your postcoital bleeding are vaginal tear during intercourse, intermenstrual spotting due to hormonal imbalance, side effects of the hormonal contraceptive methods, pelvic inflammatory disease presenting with cervical erosion, cervical polyp, vaginal endometriosis etc.If postcoital spotting repeats, better to consult your doctor and get evaluated.By clinical examination and ultrasound, the possible cause of the problem can be identified and treatment can be planned accordingly.Take care