Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a 22 year old female and I’ve been

I am a 22 year old female and I’ve been

Patient: I am a 22 year old female and I’ve been spotting brown discharge since lastnight. My period isn’t due till the end of this week. I haven’t had sex in three months and I’ve had periods since then. They were shorter than normal. Mine usually last 7 days, they’ve been lasting 5. This time around I am dizzy and feeling hot without having a fever. What could cause all of this?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Looks like there is a hormonal imbalance that has set in. Sometimes, stress, thyroid ho rmone changes, anemia, nutritional deficiencies, lack of sleep, smoking, alcohol, irrational eating habits, etc can add on to make your cycles irregular and cause spotting.Kindly see a gynecologist for an examination. The doctor would recommend a few blood tests, urine and ultrasound tests to find out the cause. You may need hormonal therapy with contraception pills to control the spotting. A pap smear is also needed to come to the right diagnosis.Hope this helped.Regards