Ask The Doctor > Pending > I am a 24 year old asthmatic male I have

I am a 24 year old asthmatic male I have

Patient: I am a 24 year old asthmatic male. I have been smoking cigarettes daily for 10 years. From ages 15 to 22 my asthma completely disappeared (exept for when I got sick – it would get very bad.) Recently I have been waking up with very painful lungs and shortness of breath. It lasts 30-40 minutes. Seems like when I ingest some food or liquid my system boosts up and makes it go away. 1 week ago i purchased a top quality e-cigarette with low nicotine as I thought it would satisfy my craving and help with the lung pain. Since then, i have smoke 2 full cigarettes and i no longer wake up with such pain. I do however still experience discomfort. My question is: As an asthamtic should i be vaping ? Is it safer for me (short term – i am aware that the long term effects are yet to be known) than regular cigarettes?

Doctor: