I am a 24 year old girl who has type 1 diabetes

Patient: I am a 24 year old girl who has type 1 diabetes since the last ten years.In future during pregnancy will I have critical complications even if my sugars are well controlled?

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.It’s not that everyone having diabetes suffer from cri tical complications during surgery.Mostly the complications occur if the diabetes is not recognized or well controlled in pregnancy.Since you are already on insulin, you would be continuing that only during the pregnancy. However, the type of insulin and dose modification might be required according to blood sugar levels.If your blood sugar remains well controlled in pregnancy, and you have no diabetes-related complications during pre-pregnancy state, chances of any complications are less.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy