Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a 44 yr old female My hands, face,

I am a 44 yr old female My hands, face,

Patient: I am a 44 yr old female. My hands, face, and feet are badly swollen. My left foot is swollen the worst. I do house painting for a living so I am climbing and standing on ladders most of the day and in the heat and sun. What can be the cause of this swelling for this has never happened before. What can I do to reduce the swelling because it is very uncomfortable.

Symptoms: Swelling and mild pain

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.Such swelling and breathlessness are mostly due to heart issues. Most important is getting BP and Diabetes checked for the purpose.In such cases and in patients who have diabetes and hypertension, following causes should be ruled out in case of Bilateral swelling of foot:1. Congestive heart failure.2. Hypothyroidism3. Proteinuria due to kidney dysfunction.4. Drugs like Amlodipine causing swelling over feet.5. AnemiaI would advise you following investigations:1. Hemogram2. Kidney function tests3. Urine for Microalbumin4. Thyroid profile.5. ECG, If abnormal ECHO.You will be treated according to the issue found.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy