Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a breastfeeding mother I smoked marijuana for the first time.

I am a breastfeeding mother I smoked marijuana for the first time.

Patient: I am a breastfeeding mother. I smoked marijuana for the first time yesterday around 5:30. My breasts started leaking a couple hours after. Is this a good thing?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for asking your question here.Marijuana or any other substance abuse is not recommended during pregna ncy or lactation. The drugs can be secreted in breast milk and affect the infant. If its first time, there is nothing to worry. But you may avoid breast immediate feeding.However, it is advisable to see a gynaecologist for an examination. It is not direct cause for increased milk secretion.Please feel free to ask further follow ups.Regards,