I am a female, 18 y/o Throughout teen years my face is oily.

Patient

Q: I am a female, 18 y/o. Throughout teen years my face was somewhat oily but not unbearably and I seemed to be able to control my acne by doing nothing more than washing daily with a clean rag and warm water. But now, my face and shoulders are breaking out HORRIBLY. I've done some research and I read.. use a cleanser containing salicylic acid to exfoliate then pat dry. Soak cotton ball with toner containing nourishing things AND salicylic acid and dab onto skin gently and allow to dry. Then apply small pea size dab of benzoyl peroxide ointment of some sort to problematic spots or entire face. And finally, finish it all off with a nice oil free moisturizer...
Okay, I have a "poor unclogging scrub by Biore", that contains 2% salicylic acid that I plan to start exfoliating with every other day. (Should I exfoliate more or less than that? Or just right?) I also have "Equate brand 10% benzoyl peroxide acne treatment gel" I plan on using a very small dab for entire face every time I exfoliate. I know I should start with small amounts 2-3 a week to see how my skin will handle benzoyl peroxide.. and I will do that. I also have an ultra light gel moisturizer that is oil free and contains no dyes, fragrances, or any other skin irritants, it's made by "Simple". The only thing I haven't gotten is a "toner" . I almost bought a toner made by "Simple" that has Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Soothing Agent) & other vitamins/extracts...but it contains NO salicylic acid. Should I find one with salicylic acid or no? I will be using this on my shoulders as well. I'm sorry to take up your time with something as silly as this..but I don't know what's best? Thank you for your time and consideration!!

Doctor

A:   Thank you for the question,

Natural acne remedies are a good way to get rid of it, or at least hold it at bay. They make you step back and really figure out what’s going on with your skin, and how to work with it.

Here are a few home remedies:
- Apple cider vinegar is a powerhouse when it comes to acting as an acne remedy.
- honey and cinnamon make a (literally) killer combo when it comes to acne. Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties, so it can help stop bacteria from getting out of hand.
- Egg whites are an easy and affordable way to help reduce acne and fade scars left by unfortunate blemishes.
- papaya is an all-natural acne remedy that removes dead skin cells and excess lipids from the surface of the skin, leaving it soft and smooth. Lipids are a general term for fats, of which oil is a form of. Papaya also contains an enzyme called papain, which reduces inflammation and helps prevent the pus from forming.

I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.