Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a female and had sex five days ago

I am a female and had sex five days ago

Patient: I am a female and had sex five days before my period was supposed to start without protection but he did not ejaculate in me. Now I am three days late, but last month I was about five days late. Could I be pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If you had sex a few days before your actual onset of menses, then there are chances o f conception in case of late ovulation, yes. Now as you have missed your periods, it is advisable that you may opt for a blood serum beta hCG test to check for levels of hCG. If the levels are more than 1 or raised, then pregnancy is confirmed , else on the other hand if its less than 1, the pregnancy is ruled out completely and you are safe.If the test is negative , then you can safely opt to wait for your menses to return for a week more.I hope i have answered your query in detail.Wishing you good health.Regards