Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am a female I have a smelly odour down below

I am a female I have a smelly odour down below

Patient: I am a female I have a smelly odour down below a lot of discharge runs out of me it’s so annoying but also they are pea size discharge lumps that come out aswell I tried douching to so if that would help and I was utterly shocked how much of this lumpy discharge was up there what is it and what can I do

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.First of all, you should not do douching as it can increase the chances of an infection. As for the diagnosis, it seems that you have a bacterial or protozoal infection of the vagina. This can be:GardnerellaCandidialTrichomonasYou need to see a Doctor to reach a diagnosis. The diagnosis is reached by taking a sample of the vaginal discharge. The discharge is examined by using a microscope and then it is used to reach a diagnosis. Once reached, the Doctor will start you on antibiotics or antifungals.Wishing you a speedy recovery