I am about three weeks late on my period

Patient : I am about three weeks late on my period. Took a pregnancy test and it came out negative still no period but light spotting today. Should I take another test and when should I see the doctor? Ps my partner and I have been trying
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. Kindly see a Gynecologist now itself and get a beta hCG test done, it is specific and repeat the test after 48 hours, an increased titer in the test results will confirm an intrauterine pregnancy.The Doctor needs to rule out an ectopic pregnancy which can present with positive pregnancy test results. Do not delay further. Hope this helped. Regards