I am addicted to pepsi, do i have diabetes?

Patient

Q: I am addicted to pepsi, and i have gotten thirst and frequent urination problems. I drank something like 1 litre of it everyday. I feel really thirsty at times.. and at night sometimes i wake up two or three times to urinate. Even drinking water sometimes does'nt help. I drink a lot of water. I also get tired easily, at school me and my friends were hitting each other as a joke, others were fine but i got really tired fast, started breathing heavily. Do i have diabetes?

Symptoms:  Thirst, Frequent Urination
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your consumption of soda has been leading to your symptoms. Excessive consumption of sugar can lead to to such symptoms. We cannot definitively diagnose you with diabetes without further examination and blood testing to confirm. It is important that you try to cut back your consumption of soda and switch to a healthier alternative such as water, and if absolutely necessary, artificially sweetened drinks in moderate amounts. Please follow up with your doctor as soon as you can for further evaluation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com