October 18, 2018

I am an alcoholic and have been drinking 12-15 beers

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am an alcoholic and have been drinking 12-15 beers

Patient: I am an alcoholic and have been drinking 12-15 beers everyday for about 3 years now. I have found that when I don’t drink I am super anxious and can’t sit still or sleep and my heart pounds. Also I have not been eating because I feel like I can’t swallow. Last night I ended up in the emergency room with a panic attack and was given .25 xanax around 9 am and another .25 around 11. I feel like I am dying and still drinking, I know it’s not a good combo but will I be okay drinking or should I go to the hospital again. I have had 6 beers so far and now I’m finally tired and feel like it’s calming me down. I havent eaten in 2 days and can’t for some reason

Doctor: Your symptoms are of withdrawal.The sooner you admit you have an alcohol addiction, the sooner treatment can start.At your current levels, you will likely have to be admitted to get off the alcohol as the first week the symptoms will be severe.If successful, your only hope of remaining abstinenant is to join AA.Based on your age, you likely have liver damage but it is reversible at this point.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No