Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am confused I am 46 and about a year i had period after 20 years.

I am confused I am 46 and about a year i had period after 20 years.

Patient: I am confused. I am 46 and about a year ago I had a period after 20 days. 2 months later I got the stomach flu and I got it after 18 days. Could the flu have caused it to come that early? Or would these be more likely perimenopause irregular periods? Then I had about 4 periods that were 3 days late and I NEVER had that before. Then they got regular again. What is going on? I see red blotches on my chest a lot at times. About 7 years ago for a couple years I had PMS symptoms all month long. Dizzy spells a year ago when I had those 2 periods that came early also. Random irritability and very tired spells also. Had 2 very light periods in a row 3 years ago.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The symptoms that you have had irregular cycles with tiredness, could all be related to perimenopausal symptoms, rather than the flu causing it.These are the common ways that many women present on nearing menopause.Suggest you to kindly see a gynecologist. The doctor would want to examine you and check your menopausal status. Blood, urine, liver and kidney tests, hormonal profile, thyroid and prolactin tests, day 3 FSH and LH levels may be recommended for you. Also, an ultrasound to check the status of the uterus, any endometrial hyperplasia as well as the condition of the ovaries will be needed.The doctor may wish to put you o hormonal supplements which can be HRT, that would relieve most of your symptoms. Also a check on blood sugars and blood pressure have to be made to rule out high blood pressure and diabetes.Calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help you.Hope this helped.Regards