Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am constantly coughing it feels like, and with each

I am constantly coughing it feels like, and with each

Patient: I am constantly coughing it feels like, and with each cough I produced mucus or hack until I do. This has been gping on for weeks and two weeks ago I was prescribed hydrocodone syrup, which I used all of, but the cough only got worse. It seems to get worse when im laying down, something feels lodged in my lungs or throat and I can’t stop hacking till it comes up, and it often comes up with stomach acid. I also woke up in the middle of the night with the worst heartburn ive ever had, and then vomited mucus and acid. Any idea what this could be?

Symptoms: Constant coughing, some vomiting, a lot of mucus

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.Thanks for trusting us for your health issues.I have read your query in detail an d I understand your concern.You seem to be suffering from Bronchial Asthma. This is also a type of allergic response.It is quite difficult to differentiate between Bronchial Asthma and Allergic cough.However, your symptoms represent Bronchial Asthma only.Treatment for both of the issues is same.I would advise in such scenario:1. Hemogram with ESR2. ECG3. Chest Xray4. Pulmonary Function TestYour doctor would evaluate you clinically. If you don’t have severe chest congestion, he would treat you with anti-allergic drugs like Levocetirizine and Montelukast. He may add deriphylline or doxophylline for the chest spasms.If your chest congestion is very severe and there are wheezes and rhonchi’s, then inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol would be required.You might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budesonide.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy