I am currently on birth control and have been for

Patient : I am currently on birth control and have been for almost a year now. But yesterday I experienced a little spotting and today I am expericing cramps and bleeding . Is this normal or is this just my period coming early ? Which has never happened before while taking this birth control .
Symptoms:  Bleeding vaginally, menstrual cramps
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query to ATD, The spotting that you are experiencing in the mid-cycle after prolonged usage of birth control pills for over a year now is known as breakthrough bleeding which is common with prolonged use of OC pills. This is accompanied by often mild abdominal cramps. They can be subsided by the use of antifibrinolytics concomitantly like the tranexamic acid 500mg thrice a day for 3 days with OC pills. These are not menses and hence birth control pills should not be stopped and the pack should be continued as already being used. This spotting shall subside on its own and shouldn't be a cause of anxiety at all unless the bleeding is heavy. In that case you may see your nearest physician for a local examination and evaluation. I hope I have answered your query in detail, Wishing you good health, Regards

Related Q&A

Q: I am taking Cerazette and taking birth control as the first time. I accidentally start the first pill from the bottom...

Q: When taking POP birth control norethindrone how close to the time you are supposed to take it can it still be effecti...

Q: I've noticed my stomach has been gurgling since the last time i had sex they day after my period ended. I am on birth...

Q: I've been taking junel birth control. I just finish my first pack and now this week I'm on withdrawal bleeding. But i...

Q: Is it ok to take brith control after labral reconstruction surgery?


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon