I am expecting I'm pregnant and have all the early symptoms

Patient

Q: I am expecting I'm pregnant and have all the early symptoms but I'm coming off birth control. Two nights ago I had light brown/pink discharge and it stopped then yesterday morning I woke up with a light flow of blood. I have no clue what's going on.

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.

As you mentioned that you are coming off birth control this month then it is likely that you may be experiencing a withdrawal bleed which is getting initiated as you may have started your sugar pills.The symptoms of early pregnancy like nausea , headache, sore breasts, mood swings, mild lower abdominal pain may as well form a part of premenstrual syndrome or PMS which can start few days prior to onset of menses.

If you are in the mid-cycle and still on pills this month, then this may be a breakthrough bleed which is commonly seen on prolonged usage of birth control pills.

Third possibility is if you have stopped your birth control by last cycle and this cycle has been pill free, then this spotting in form of light brown discharge followed by light flow may be an implantation bleed if you have been trying to conceive and have been sexually active this cycle. The pregnancy, in this case, can be confirmed at present with a blood serum beta HCG test. If the levels of beta-HCG are more than 1 or raised, then it's an implantation bleed and you are pregnant. But if they are less than 1, pregnancy is ruled out for sure and the symptoms that you are experiencing are more likely to be attributed to PMS.

In either case, get a blood serum beta HCG test done to confirm or rule out pregnancy for certain and put your anxiety to rest.
I hope I have answered and addressed your query in detail with whatever details you have furnished in your query,
Wishing you good health,