I am feeling very depressed because of the way I

Patient: I am feeling very depressed because of the way I am being treated at work. I want to go on a medical leave of absence.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for writing to us.I can understand what you are going through.Since you feel depressed you should visit your doctor to help you to get a certificate for the same, which you can procure at work place to avail leave.The doctor would be able to diagnose depression only if you have specific symptoms, at least 5 of these 9, present nearly every day:1. Depressed mood or irritable most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report(e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful).2. Decreased interest or pleasure in most activities, most of each day3. Significant weight change (5%) or change in appetite4. Change in sleep: Insomnia or hypersomnia5. Change in activity: Psycho motor agitation or retardation6. Fatigue or loss of energy7. Guilt/worthlessness: Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt8. Concentration: diminished ability to think or concentrate, or more indecisiveness9. Suicidality: Thoughts of death or suicide, or has suicide planOnce diagnosed your doctor may be able to start you with antidepressants which would help you to feel good. Moreover as this is work related you could possibly talk to higher authorities so that your colleagues may stop troubling you.Hope this helps.Feel free to write back.Regards