I am feeling very depressed because of the way I

Patient

Q: I am feeling very depressed because of the way I am being treated at work. I want to go on a medical leave of absence.

Doctor

Thanks for writing to us.
I can understand what you are going through.

Since you feel depressed you should visit your doctor to help you to get a certificate for the same, which you can procure at work place to avail leave.

The doctor would be able to diagnose depression only if you have specific symptoms, at least 5 of these 9, present nearly every day:

1. Depressed mood or irritable most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report
(e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful).

2. Decreased interest or pleasure in most activities, most of each day

3. Significant weight change (5%) or change in appetite

4. Change in sleep: Insomnia or hypersomnia

5. Change in activity: Psycho motor agitation or retardation

6. Fatigue or loss of energy

7. Guilt/worthlessness: Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt

8. Concentration: diminished ability to think or concentrate, or more indecisiveness

9. Suicidality: Thoughts of death or suicide, or has suicide plan

Once diagnosed your doctor may be able to start you with antidepressants which would help you to feel good. Moreover as this is work related you could possibly talk to higher authorities so that your colleagues may stop troubling you.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to write back.