I am having breast discharge coming from my nipple when

Q: I am having breast discharge coming from my nipple when I squeeze it. It is coming from both breasts. And is milky like. I have not been breast feeding for 12 mos.

A:   Hi,

I understand your concern. Ilk
Milk discharge in women who are non pregnant or not breast feeding is called galactorrhea.
The possible causes of galactorrhea are over production of prolaction from pituitary gland, prolactinoma, the non cancerous tumor of pituitary gland, hypothyroidism can lead to increased production of prolaction due to TSH stimulation and can cause galactorrhea.
Drugs like antipsychotic medicines, antacids, some hormones, herbs like anise, fennel and illegal drugs like marijuana etc can cause galactorrhea.
If secretion persists better to consult your doctor and get evaluated.
Drug history, clinical examination and estimating the serum prolactin levels can help in finding out the possible cause of your problem and treatment can be planned accordingly.

Take care.