I am having CT scan tomorrow with contrast In past.

Patient : I am having CTscan tomorrow with contrast. In past, I have shown sensitivity to sulfa drugs. I just read the label of the contrast: Readi-cat 2, Barium Sulfate Suspension. Is Sulfate a sulfa drug ? I am about to drink entire contents. Hope I am wrong about this. Thanks for any info, Mary
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Ba rium sulfate can be taken by a patient having allergy to sulfa drugs. You can safely take the CT scan with intake of barium sulfate. However please inform the hospital about your allergy before the examination. Hope your queery is answered. Please do write back if you have any doubts. Regards,