I am having some itching and pain in my vagina

Patient

Q: I am having some itching and pain in my vagina. What could be causing this?

Doctor

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

There are several common causes of vaginal itching, burning, and irritation, including:

Bacterial vaginosis . It's normal to have a healthy mix of bacteria in the vagina. But the wrong bacteria growing there can lead to an infection. Besides itching, other symptoms that come with bacterial vaginosis are inflammation, burning, discharge, and a fishy-smelling odor.
Sexually transmitted disease (STDs). Chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts, trichomoniasis, and gonorrhea all can cause vaginal/vulvar itching and irritation and other symptoms.
Yeast infection (vaginal candidiasis). About three out of every four women will develop a yeast infection at some point in their lives. Yeast infections occur when the yeast, candida, grow excessively in the vagina and vulva. Pregnancy, intercourse, antibiotics, and a weakened immune system can all make women more likely to get a yeast infection. In addition to itching and irritation, a yeast infection will produce a thick, white, cheesy discharge.
Menopause. The drop in estrogen production that occurs at the end of a woman's reproductive years can cause the vaginal walls to thin and dry out. This can lead to itching and irritation. Thinning of the vaginal walls is also a problem in some women who breastfeed.
Chemical irritants. A number of chemical substances, including creams, douches, condoms, contraceptive foams, laundry detergents, soaps, scented toilet paper, and fabric softeners can irritate the vagina and vulva.

Most genital itching and irritation isn't a major concern. But because they can be symptoms of an infection, it's always a good idea to call your health care provider.

Hope this helps. Take care.