Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am having trouble initiating my flow of urine I

I am having trouble initiating my flow of urine I

Patient: I am having trouble initiating my flow of urine. I feel that I have to go, but I sit sometimes for 2 or 3 minutes with nothing happening, then when it finally starts, it’s hesitant and doesn’t feel like I totally empty my bladder. What could cause this?

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.You have not mentioned your age, but your symptoms fit int o Prostatic Hyperplasia. This problem usually occurs with the advancing age. You would require to see a surgeon for this, who would do a per rectal examination to see if the size of prostate is enlarged. If he feels so he will get you an Ultrasound Prostate done. If prostate enlargement is found in the ultrasound, then your doctor will also evaluate for any evidence of malignant changes in the prostate. He will start you on Finasteride and Tamsulosin, which will give you an immense relief in the symptoms.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.