I am having white lines on either side of the

Q: I am having white lines on either side of the tongue. It is not raised but in a straight line from the mid of the tongue to near tip of the tongue. It's not causing any pain also. But a minor discomfort feeling on the tongue of as if not brushed in the morning. Is it oral hairy leukoplakia?

I am having white lines on ...-1

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Let me start by explaining to you about oral hairy leukoplakia. Oral hairy leukoplakia is a condition seen in people who are immunocompromised. It is seen commonly in people with HIV/AIDS. Unless you have had a risk factor of AIDS and also have had that behavior at least 3 to 4 years ago for the disease to develop, it is unlikely that you have AIDS. Also, you will have other symptoms of many infections, fever and weight loss with AIDS. If you have none of these, I doubt that you have OHL.

Getting back to your question, here are a few possible causes of the white lines on the tongue:
Oral thrush
Vitamin deficiencies

Your first line of treatment should be to start on vitamin supplements or on a steady diet of fruits to reach your vitamin goals. Post this, please see a Doctor to get the tongue examined. The Doctor may advise you to stop chewing tobacco if you already do so. Once a diagnosis is reached, you can talk to your Doctor about causes and then get it treated. In some cases, a white tongue indicates cancer or some serious disorder. Your Doctor will also be able to pick this up.

If it is not too difficult to see your Doctor, you should see him soon.

Hope this helps you. All the best.