Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am interested in maybe undergoing HRT.

I am interested in maybe undergoing HRT.

Patient: Yes, I have recently been interested in something called HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). More specifically Male to Female HRT. I have read in several different places that when a man undergoes this therapy… his testicles will shrink. I have seen several photos that proved it… Well. I was interested in maybe undergoing Male to Female HRT myself, but of course I am going to have to think it over before I do.Is there any way that I can keep my genitals the way they are when undergoing this therapy? Any way at all?

Symptoms: None.

Doctor: Hello,If you are looking for a sex change by means of hormonal therapy then it is to be understood that it can be nev er complete without surgical intervention. If you prefer to use female hormones for use especially oestrogen , then it is likely that sperm production may be hampered and you may experience erectile dysfunctions . As the levels of testosterone would have to be reduced by exogenous hormones , the quality and quantity of sperm would also reduce.These options have to be discussed with your therapist in details before you undertake such a decision.The therapy is definitely not free from side effects.regrads

Patient: I will be sure to thoroughly consult with a therapist about my decision. Thank you for the response.